St. Mary the Virgin
Chipping Norton (8)
Chipping Norton is the highest town in Oxfordshire, standing some 650ft above sea level on the northern slopes of the Cotswold Hills, where it affords beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. The town lies within easy reach of Stratford-on-Avon, Oxford and Bourton-on-the-Water, to name but three well known places of interest, and is an ideal base for touring the area.
The parish church of St. Mary the Virgin is situated below the town centre, close to the ancient castle banks. Its origins go back to the 12th century. The church has been altered and enlarged many times. In the 15th century the nave was rebuilt in the perpendicular style, a result of the generosity of the local rich wool merchants. There are several architectural features of note, including a hexagonal vaulted porch and beautiful stained glass windows. The most remarkable of these is the Creation window in the South aisle. The church embraces a range of worship traditions and the congregation ranges from babies to those in their nineties.
You can visit the St Mary’s website by clicking on this link St Mary The Virgin, Chipping Norton.
The present bells were recast at the Whitechapel Bell foundry in 1907 from the metal of a former ring cast by John Rudhall of Gloucester in 1825, which was installed after the tower was rebuilt in 1823.
(Cwt-Qrs-Lbs) Treble 27 1907 Mears & Stainbank, London F# 4-3-6 2 28 1907 Mears & Stainbank, London F 5-1-2 3 30 1907 Mears & Stainbank, London D# 5-3-23 4 32 1907 Mears & Stainbank, London C# 6-3-13 5 35 1907 Mears & Stainbank, London B 7-3-23 6 36 1907 Mears & Stainbank, London A# 8-2-17 7 39 1907 Mears & Stainbank, London G# 10-2-6 Tenor 44 1907 Mears & Stainbank, London F# 14-1-4
There is also a Sanctus bell, cast by Richard Purdue, which bears the inscription
“+ANNOtDOtMItNIt1624 R (Bell) P”
A shield bearing a large fleur-de-lys, two crowns and the words “ICH DIEN” are also visible