St. Mary
Swerford (6)

Stacks Image 755
Swerford is a very small unspoilt village some 5 miles from Chipping Norton and has around 150 inhabitants.
The church was built around the 13th century and is constructed of the local golden stone. It is situated off the Banbury to Chipping Norton Road and can reached easily by two paths through the churchyard which contains four yew trees.


There are six bells, rung from the ground floor. The tenor weighs 6 cwt 2qrs 6lbs and has a diameter of 2ft 9.25inches. The bells are inscribed as follows:

Treble:        1998 Whitechapel Founders
Second:      1823 By William & John Taylor
Third:          1876 Cast again by Matthew Bagley
Fourth:        1723 Richard Saunders
Fifth:            1766 Matthew Bagley
Tenor:         1695 William Bagley of Chacombe 
Ringing: Sunday variable with Hook Norton and Wigginton
No Practice