St. Mary the Virgin
Chipping Norton (8)
The parish church of St. Mary the Virgin is situated below the town centre, close to the ancient castle banks. Its origins go back to the 12th century. The church has been altered and enlarged many times. In the 15th century the nave was rebuilt in the perpendicular style, a result of the generosity of the local rich wool merchants. There are several architectural features of note, including a hexagonal vaulted porch and beautiful stained glass windows. The most remarkable of these is the Creation window in the South aisle. The church embraces a range of worship traditions and the congregation ranges from babies to those in their nineties.
You can visit the St Mary's website by clicking on this link St Mary The Virgin, Chipping Norton
The present bells were recast at the Whitechapel Bell foundry in 1907 from the metal of a former ring cast by John Rudhall of Gloucester in 1825, which was installed after the tower was rebuilt in 1823
|Treble||4-3-6||27||F#||1907||Mears & Stainbank||London||MEARS & STAINBANK, LONDON.|
|2||5-1-2||28||F||1907||Mears & Stainbank||London||MEARS & STAINBANK, LONDON.|
|3||5-3-23||30||D#||1907||Mears & Stainbank||London||MEARS & STAINBANK, LONDON.|
|4||6-3-13||32||C#||1907||Mears & Stainbank||London||MEARS & STAINBANK, LONDON.|
|5||7-3-23||35||B||1907||Mears & Stainbank||London||MEARS & STAINBANK, LONDON.|
|6||8-2-17||36||A#||1907||Mears & Stainbank||London||MEARS & STAINBANK, LONDON.|
|7||10-2-6||39||G#||1907||Mears & Stainbank||London||MEARS & STAINBANK, LONDON.|
|Tenor||14-1-4||44||F#||1907||Mears & Stainbank||London||JESU, MISERERE MEI.|
THESE BELLS ORIGINALLY CAST BY
JOHN RUDHALL, GLOUCESTER, 1825.
R. S. SKILLERN, VICAR.
S. GUY, CHURCHWARDENS,
WERE RECAST BY MEARS & STAINBANK, LONDON, 1907.
G. A. LITTLEDALE, M.A. VICAR.
A. C. RAWLINSON,
THOMAS DONELLY, CHURCHWARDENS,
D. ST. G. DALY, CHURCHWARDEN FOR OVER NORTON.
There is also a Sanctus bell, cast by Richard Purdue, which bears the inscription
“+ANNOtDOtMItNIt1624 R (Bell) P”
A shield bearing a large fleur-de-lys, two crowns and the words “ICH DIEN” are also visible
Captain: Christine Harris, tel. 01608 641809
Ringing: Sunday 10:10 a.m. (as arranged)
No regular practice